Johnson PVA Navigation
Kentucky Tax Calendar
General Tax Information
Tax Estimator
Tax Roll
Contact Us

Johnson County Property Valuation Administrator's Office


    Request a conference with the Property Valuation Administrators Office during inspection period.

               You may be represented by:
                 *An Attorney
                 *Certified Public Accountant
                 *Certified Real Estate Broker
                 *Ky Licensed Real Estate Broker
                 *Employee of Property Owner
                 *Property Owner

    Bring evidence to support your claim. The conference may be held by telephone at the request of the taxpayer.

               Taxpayer still disagrees with assessment:
                 *Appeal to Board of Assessment Appeals
                 *Send letter to County Court Clerk
                 *Identify the Property for which the appeal is filed
                 *State your opinion of the fair cash value of the property

    Appeal must be filed no later than one (1) working day following the conclusion to the inspection period.

    Board of assessment Appeals shall hold a public hearing for each taxpayer and after hearing the evidence shall fix the property at its Fair Cash Value.

               Information to be Supplied by Taxpayer:
                *Physical Characteristics
                * Structures
                *Insurance Policies
                *Cost of Construction
                *Income and Expense Statements for Commercial
                *Loans and Mortgage Against Property

    The Board shall Provide a written opinion for each assessment.

Johnson County Property Valuation Administrator's Office



     Agricultural valuation encourage the continuation of farming operations and the preservation of farmland in Kentucky by providing a tax "break" for farmers. The value of land used for farm production is assessed at a lower dollar value per acre than if the same land were used for other purposes. The law was enacted to keep soaring property assessments from forcing farmers out of business. 

KRS 132.010 as amended sets out definite provisions relative to agricultural and horticultural land. 

     Agricultural land means any tract at least ten acres in area, exclusive of land used in conjunction with the farmhouse, that is used for agricultural purposes or for the growing of merchantable timber. Horticultural land means any land of at least five acres in area commercially used for the cultivation of a garden, orchard, or the raising of fruits, vegetables, flowers, or ornamental plants.
     Agricultural or horticultural value means the use value of agricultural or horticultural land based upon income-producing capability and comparable sales of farmland purchased for farm purposes where the price is indicative of farm use value, excluding sales representing purchases for farm expansion, better accessibility, and other factors which inflate the purchase price beyond farm use value.
     Land devoted to agricultural or horticultural use, where the owner has petitioned for, and been granted a zoning classification other than for agricultural or horticultural purposes, is excluded from the provisions of this act.  When the use of a part of a tract of land which is assessed as agricultural or horticultural land is changed, either by conveyance or other action of the owner, the right of the remaining land to be retained in the agricultural or horticultural classification for assessment shall not be impaired provided it meets the minimum requirements for such classification. 
     Land on which there has been established a systematic pattern of change of use over a period of two years is excluded from the provision of this act. 
     A farm residence occupied  by the farm owner must be assessed at its fair cash value and is not eligible for agricultural deferment. 
     Utility buildings or houses used by tenants actually working on the farm can be valued according to the contribution they make to the agricultural production of the land. 

© 2009 by The Johnson County Property Valuation Administrator &