What property exemptions are available??

How is my property value determined?
What property exemptions are available?
How can I appeal my assessment?
How is the tax rate figured?

What property exemptions are available?

Homestead, School, Disabled Veterans, and Preferential Agriculture:

Property tax is one of the primary sources of revenue for Newton County. It is used to fund police and fire services, education, roads, bridges, water, parks, and other county services. The basis for property tax is the fair market value of the property, which is established on January 1 of each year. The tax is levied on the assessment value, which by law is established at 40 percent of fair market value. The amount of tax is determined by the millage rate. (One mill of tax is equal to $1 per $1,000 of assessed value.)

You must file for a homestead exemption in person by April 1st and you must have owned and occupied the property as of January 1st in which year you are seeking the exemption.Once you have applied for an exemption, you do not need to reapply unless you move to another location.

Special Exemptions:

You may be eligible for conservation use or preferential agricultural assessment exemption if you are in good faith agricultural/forest production. This would include; producing plants, trees, fowl or animals, or the production of aquaculture, horticulture, floriculture, forestry, dairy, livestock, poultry and apiarian products.

With both programs, you enter into a 10 year covenant with Newton County whereby you agree to continue your property in agricultural or forestry production. Agricultural preferential assessment generally provides a 25 percent advantage over fair market value. Conservation use can offer significant savings, in some cases greater than 50 percent of fair market value.

Residential Transitional Exemption:

If you live in an area that is in a transition form from residential to commercial use, and it is affecting the value of your property, you may apply for a residential transitional assessment covenant. This is also a 10-year covenant. For all three, apply between January 2nd and April 1st.