Assessment Information
© 2013
Town of Griswold, CT Tax Assessor
 Assessment Process A Grand List represents the total of assessed values for all taxable real property, personal property, and motor vehicles located within the Town on October 1st of any given year. Assessments for real property are based on 70 percent of the estimated market value at the time of the last revaluation. When a building permit is issued, the Assessor's Office receives a copy of the permit and applies any changes to the property. These changes can add or subtract value from the property and reflect the dollar amounts developed at the time of the last revaluation. All personal property (furniture, fixtures, equipment, and machinery) is revalued annually. An assessor's check and audit is completed periodically. Deadline for filing the personal property declaration is November 1st of any given year. The Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicle furnishes the Town with a list of vehicles registered within the Town of Griswold. Section 12-71(b) of the Connecticut General Statutes provides that motor vehicles which are registered with the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles after the October 1st assessment date but before the next July 31st are subject to a property tax as if the motor vehicle had been included on the October 1st Grand List, supplemental motor vehicle list. The assessment is then prorated, and is based on the number of months of ownership between October 1st and September 30th of any given year. Motor Vehicle Basic Information Motor Vehicle assessments are based on what was registered in your name on October 1 of any given year. Vehicles purchased or newly registered after October 1 and before August 31 of any given year, will receive a tax bill January 1 of the next year. If the motor vehicle was owned on October 1 of any given year, it is taxable. However, if the vehicle was sold, stolen, totally destroyed or registered in another state an adjustment may be applicable. Motor Vehicle Adjustments Due to the lack of available storage space, effective as of January 1, 2008, we can no longer accept your documentation for returned motor vehicle plates or disposal of vehicle information. It will be your responsibility to retain the mandatory plate receipt and a second form of proof. Please retain both forms of proof and bring them in with the tax bill that you receive from the Tax Collector. If any credit is due, this office will address it at that time. * MANDATORY RECEIPTS OF PROOF FOR AN ADJUSTMENT PLEASE NOTE: All information must be DATED and have the VEHICLE    IDENTIFICATION NUMBER on it. 1. MANDATORY PLATE RECEIPT FROM DMV A plate return receipt from the DMV indicating that the registration has been cancelled, lost or stolen * 2. MANDATORY ADDITIONAL PROOF OF WHAT WAS DONE WITH THE VEHICLE IN QUESTION: A. Copy of the bill of sale * (located on the bottom of the registration) B. Signed copy of the transfer of title * C. Out of state registration (date of when registered out of state) * D. Stolen vehicle - a statement from the insurance company that the vehicle was stolen and not recovered * E. Totaled vehicle - a statement from the insurance company indicating that the vehicle was a total loss * F. Junked vehicle - a notarized receipt from a junkyard G. Trade-in vehicle - a signed copy of a purchase agreement identifying the trade-in vehicle
Home Search Records Assessment Information Appeals Forms FAQ Staff