© 2014 qpublic.net
Q: Where do I start if I think the value of my property is too high? A: The goal of the Assessor’s office is to ensure each property owner is given their equitable share of the total tax burden. Talk to your Assessor. Go over your field card to see if the data is correct. If you have concerns you feel are not addressed, provide your Assessor with documentation or ask your Assessor to visit your property. Keep in mind the value of your property is based on the mass appraisal. Q: What do I do if, after meeting with the Assessor, I still feel the value on my property is too high? A: You have the right to request a hearing before the Board of Assessment Appeals. Q: What do I do when I receive a tax bill for a vehicle I no longer own? A: You must submit documentation to the Assessor, showing you no longer own the vehicle in question. Depending on the date of disposition, the Assessor will then either remove the vehicle from the Grand List, or, if documentation is submitted in a timely manner, prorate the assessment. Q: Why is my vehicle valued higher than what I paid for it, or what it’s worth now? A: The value on your motor vehicle is based on NADA pricing guidelines as recommended by the State of Connecticut Office of Policy and Management, unless it is a unique vehicle. If the vehicle in question has high mileage, damage due to an accident, or excessive wear and tear, you have the right to bring documentation supporting this to the Board of Assessment Appeals. Q: Why did I receive a Personal Property Declaration? A: If you are the owner of a business, you are required by law to file a Personal Property Declaration with the Town in which your business assets and leased equipment (if applicable) are located. Unregistered motor vehicles and horses must also be declared. Q: What if I no longer have a business in Kent? A: To remove your business from the Grand List, complete the Affidavit on the front page of the Declaration and returned the Declaration to the Assessor’s office. The Assessor can then remove your business from the appropriate Grand List.
Town of Kent, CT Tax Assessor Home Search Records Appeals FAQ