1. How do I appeal my assessment?
    If you receive a Notice of Property Value Change (assessment notice) and you disagree with the value of the property, you must file a letter with the Assessors Office within 45 days of the date of the notice. Give as much information as possible about why you feel the value is incorrect. To ensure the appeal reaches the Assessors Office, mailing your appeal by certified mail or hand-carrying to the office is suggested. (See Appeal Information for more detail.)
  2. What happens after I file my appeal?
    The appeal is reviewed by the Board of Assessors. You will be notified in writing of their decision. The time of response varies with the number of appeals received. Instructions regarding the decision are included in the letter from the Assessors.
  3. The ownership listed on the Assessment Notice is incorrect. I no longer own this property or I recently purchased this property. What do I do?
    Assessment notices and tax bills should be forwarded to the owner of record on January 1 of each year. If you are no longer the owner, you may forward the notice or bill to the new owner. If you are a new owner after January 1, the information will be in your name next year.
  4. How do I find out ownership of property?
    This information is a public record and is available during regular business hours in the Assessors Office.
  5. Did my mortgage company pay my taxes?
    Tax bill collection questions are handled through the Tax Commissioners Office.
  6. When and how do I file for Homestead Exemptions?
    Call the Tax Commissioners Office for full details or visit their website by clicking here. Documentation of ownership is required. Call the Tax Commissioners Office for full details.
  7. What is a special assessment and how do I apply?
    The state provides for covenant programs for property that qualifies and meets certain criteria. Applications are taken in the Assessors Office each January 1 through April 1.

© 2006-2009 by