The Carroll County Tax Assessors is aware that that there are still 600 2016 appeals that are being forwarded onto the Board of Equalization. Those hearings have not been held yet. The 2017 assessment notices have been mailed using the 2016 values. No new notice will be mailed after the 2016 appeal is settled. If you wish to file an appeal on the 2017 assessment notice, you may do so by August 3, 2017. Be aware when you do that the appeal process begins again for 2017 tax year. We hope this clears up any confusion on how the process works. If you have questions, please call our office 770-830-5812.


Beginning Sept. 20, 2016 Appraisers from GMASS, the Assessor's office commercial contractor, will begin conducting property reviews in Carroll County. These field reviews are required by Georgia law to be conducted every 3 - 4 years to ensure that property descriptions, construction and amenities are properly recorded.

The appraisers will wear company logo shirts with the name of GMASS on them. They will have Carroll County identification badges. They will be driving a vehicle with a Carroll County decal on them and they will have business cards.

Residential field reviews will be ongoing as well. Employees from the Assessor's Office will have badges, and will have Carroll county shirts for identification. They will also be in County vehicles marked accordingly. If a resident is at home when the appraisers visit, they will verify the property information that the County has on file. They will not enter the residence unless invited in to view changes to the property information. They will conduct an outside inspection of all residences and all out buildings on the property. These field reviews are required by Georgia law to be conducted every 3 - 4 years to ensure that property descriptions, construction and amenities are properly recorded.

If a resident is not at home when the appraisers visit, they will conduct an outside inspection and leave a card/door hanger informing the resident that they were there. The appraisers will not go through/over a locked gate. If a resident has a locked gate, the resident is asked to call the Carroll County Appraisal Department at 770-830-5812 to schedule an appointment to meet the appraiser on site.

Residents with questions are asked to call 770-830-5812.

This notice is being given in accordance with O.C.G.A 48-5-264.1

O.C.G.A. 48-5-311 (e) Appeal (3) (B) In any county in which the number of appeals exceeds a number equal to or greater than 3 percent of the total number of parcels in the county or the sum of the current assessed value of the parcels under appeal is equal to or greater than 3 percent of the gross tax digest of the county, the county board of tax assessors shall be granted an additional 180 day period to make its determination and notify the taxpayer. The county board of tax assessors shall notify each affected taxpayer of the additional 180 day review period provided in this subparagraph by mail or electronic communication, including posting notice on the website of the county board of tax assessors if such website is available.

According to O.C.G.A. 48-5-311 (e) Appeal (3) (B), the 2016 appeals exceeded the 3 percent of total number of parcels. The Carroll County Board of Tax Assessor's office has been granted an additional 180 days to work the appeals. This will be 360 days to work the 2016 appeals from the date that we received them.

Returned Assessment Notices

Important Information for Carroll County Tax Payers

The 2016 Digest has been certified by the DOR

Board of Tax Assessors & Appraisal Office

Questions about property appraisal and assessment in Carroll County are not uncommon. We are happy to provide this powerful new information source.

We pride ourselves on providing excellent service to the taxpayers and citizens of Carroll County. Should you need additional information not provided here, please feel free to call or fax our office at the numbers below. Our office hours are 8 AM - 5 PM, Monday - Friday.

Office address......423 College St., Carrollton, Ga. Room 408
Mailing address.....P.O. Box 338, Carrollton, Ga. 30112
Map Room Phone.....770-830-5820

Renee Parmer
Chief Appraiser
Mary Thurman-Parham
Office Manager


* Some of the forms on this page require that you have Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you do not have this free software installed on your computer click here to

The Board of Tax Assessors is a body of appointed citizens of Carroll County serving on a part-time basis. Its regularly scheduled meeting date is the third Tuesday of each month at 10 a.m. at 423 College Street (Annex Building), Carrollton, in Meeting Room 501 unless otherwise posted.

Board members are appointed to a six-year term by the Carroll County Board of Commissioners and operate autonomously. A chairman and secretary are elected on an annual basis. The Board of Assessors hires a chief appraiser to administer the functions of property appraisal and assessment administration.

Members of the Board of Assessors may be reached by calling our office. Please remember they serve on a part-time citizens board and may not be available. Please be assured they will return your call if you leave a message with their secretary.

Current Board of Assessor Members:
James Fulford
Sandra Houston
Rebecca Merrell
Don Harmon
Ed Federer, Chair

Secretary to the Board of Assessors
Mary Lathery


The tax commissioner does not assess property or set millage rates. The tax commissioner prepares and mails the tax bills and collects the taxes based on the values provided by the Board of Assessors. Questions regarding bill calculations, return mail, late payments, interest, etc. should be directed to the tax commissioner at 770-830-5843. taxcomm@carrollcountyga.com


The Chief Appraiser and appraisal staff are charged with the annual valuation of all property in Carroll County (real estate and personal). Georgia law requires that all property be appraised at "fair market value." This is generally accepted as the value paid by the purchaser, when neither the seller nor the purchaser is under any duress to buy or sell. Analysis of these sales form the basis for the valuation of similar properties.

Georgia law requires that your property be assessed for tax purposes at 40% of the appraised value. This is why it is always important for you to be aware of the value the tax assessors have placed on your property.

A large portion of the operating revenue needed for Carroll County comes from the taxation of privately held property. The Carroll County Board of Commissioners, the Carroll County Board of Education and cities within the county set millage rates each year based on their budgetary needs. The millage rate is then multiplied against the assessed value of your property (less any exemptions) to determine the amount of taxes you owe.


Effective 1996 real estate property tax returns are received in the tax assessors office. You are required to file a return if there has been any change in your property (additions, deletions, change in acreage, etc.). You may also file a return if you feel the value placed on your property does not reflect "fair market value". In late spring you will receive an assessment change notice showing the current value of the Board of Assessors. If you do not agree with that value, you will have 45 days from the date of mailing to file an appeal. Appeal instructions will be on the notice. All returns must be filed between January 1 and April 1. All returns must be POSTMARKED by the post office no later than April 1.

Download PT-50R -- Real Estate Property Tax Return


Notice: inventory must still be reported!

On November 2, 2010, Georgia Voters approved exempting all inventory of a business from STATE ad valorem tax. This does not however exempt this same inventory from local (county, city, school, etc) ad valorem tax. Business personal property inventory REMAINS TAXABLE for the county, school, municipal, etc. purposes. Businesses that fail to timely report inventory will be subject to appropriate penalties.

Effective January 1, 2003, a 10% penalty will be added on items not previously returned if the Personal Property Return is not filed by April 1.

Georgia law requires that all tangible personal property be assessed at "fair market value". This includes, but is not limited to, boats, other marine equipment, airplanes, agricultural equipment (if taxpayer files a Schedule F with their federal income tax return) and all business equipment, furniture, fixtures, supplies and inventory with a total Fair Market Value of $7,501 or more.

Some businesses may be eligible for Freeport Exemption on their inventory. Carroll County allows 100% Freeport Exemption on eligible inventory. This is NOT an automatic exemption. It must be applied for each year. Rules applicable are very specific, but generally include:

1. Raw materials and goods in the process of manufacture or production.
2. Finished goods manufactured or produced within the State of Georgia, held by the original manufacturer, and held no more than 12 months from the date it is manufactured or produced.
3. Inventory of finished goods destined for out-of-state shipment.

Please call our Personal Property Department for specific requirements for Freeport Exemption, if you feel you may qualify. 770-830-5812

At the beginning of each year a return/reporting form is mailed to all tangible personal property owners of record. Failure to receive a form does not relieve you of the responsibility of filing the return. Forms may be obtained in our office. These forms must be returned to our office or postmarked by the post office no later than April 1. If you feel the form is not applicable, return it with an explanation. Either way, the form must be returned or the Board of Assessors will have to estimate the value of your property.

Should the Board of Assessors make a change in the value that you have returned for your tangible personal property, you will receive an "assessment change notice" showing the changed value. If you do not agree with this value, you will have 45 days from the mailing date to file an appeal with our office. Instructions for filing an appeal will be included with the notice.

Download PT-50A -- AirCraft

Download PT-50M -- Marine

Download PT-50PF -- Freeport Exemption

Download Supplemental Information Request for Freeport Exemption Application

Download PT-50P -- Tangible Personal Property Tax Form



Beginning January 1, 2000, all mobile home dealers will report the value of their inventory on their Business Personal Property Reporting Form. This form must be POSTMARKED by the post office no later than April 1. Taxes on your mobile home inventory will be billed in October with all other taxes. A totally completed Form PT41 must be filed with the Tax Commissioner's office for each mobile home that is sold. The Tax Commissioner will then issue a current year decal for the mobile home. A decal cannot be issued without the PT41. These forms may be obtained at the Tax Commissioner's office.

Individual owners

The Board of Tax Assessors is required by law to value all mobile homes. Unless your home is "homesteaded" and taxed with your land, you will receive a Mobile Home Bill in January of each year. This bill is due no later than April 1. When your taxes are paid, you will receive a current decal that must be posted in a visible place on your home. Failure to display the decal could result in a citation and fine. If you do not agree with the "fair market value" placed on your home, you will have 45 days to file an appeal with the tax assessors office. The final date to file an appeal will appear on your bill. If you do not file an appeal by that date, your appeal rights will be lost until the following year.

How do I qualify for Homestead Exemption?

If you own the land where your home is permanently located and you own the mobile home and it is your permanent residence, you may qualify for homestead exemption. Your land and your mobile home will then be taxed together (as any other home) and you will receive a tax bill in October. Bring your current mobile home bill to the Tax Assessors office and make application for homestead exemption. DO NOT pay the bill, but you must not owe any delinquent (prior years) taxes on your mobile home. Homestead exemption will reduce the total amount of your property taxes. If you are purchasing your land by a contract for deed, that contract must be recorded in the Clerk of Court's office in order to qualify for homestead exemption. All other qualifications for homestead exemptions must be met.

If you plan to move a mobile home into Carroll County from another county or state, in addition to meeting all requirements of the permit office, you must also show evidence that all taxes are current on your mobile home. Taxes are due where the home is physically located on January 1. Moving a mobile home without a permit is a code violation and subject to citation and fines. The same criteria must also be met to move a mobile home from one location to another within Carroll County. Call the Community Development Office in Carroll County at 770-830-5861 for further information on relocating a mobile home.


Carroll County offers extra homestead exemptions in addition to those exemptions offered statewide. These exemptions were approved by a referendum by the voters of Carroll County.
Effective June 1, 2005, homestead exemptions may be filed for any time during the year. However, you must own and occupy the property on January 1 of the tax year in which you are applying for homestead on. You must bring in your driver's license and it must show your address of legal residence.

S1-Must own and occupy as legal residence on January 1 of the application year.
$4,000 exemption (county and schools)

S2-Must own and occupy as legal residence on January 1 of the application year.
$8,000 exemption (county and schools)

S4-Must own, occupy and be 65 YEARS OLD as legal residence on January 1 of the application year.
$8,000 exemption for County taxes only and total School Tax exemption for PRIMARY RESIDENCE ONLY (No Income Requirements)

S5-Must qualify for S1 exemption. Any veteran who is a citizen and a resident of this state who was discharged under honorable conditions and who has been adjudicated by the United States Dept. of Veteran's Affairs as having a service related disability that renders such veteran as being 100% totally disabled or as being less that 100% totally disabled but is compensated at the 100% level due to individual employability or is entitled to receive a statutory award from the United States Dept. of Veterans Affairs. Any disabled veteran qualifying for the homestead exemption, shall file a letter from the Dept. of Veterans Affairs or the Dept. of Veterans Service stating the eligibility for such housing assistance.

Download Homestead Exemption Application


Agricultural Preferential Assessment

Must sign a 10-year covenant agreeing not sell any portion of the parcel covered by the covenant. Taxes are based on 30% of fair market value instead of 40%. Must apply between January 1 and April 1. Please call our office for further details, criteria and penalties for breach of covenant.

Conservation Use

Must sign a 10-year covenant to continue same use of the property. Value is based on soil type determined by the ASCS soil maps. Must apply between January 1 and April 1. Please call our office for further details, criteria and penalties for breach of covenant.

Historical Preservation

Must sign a 10-year covenant. Property must be certified by the Department of Natural Resources. Please call our office for further details.

Environmentally Sensitive

Must sign a 10-year covenant. Property must be certified by the Department of Natural Resources. Please call our office for further details.

Download Application Form:

Agricultural Preferential Assessment
Conservation Use Assessment
Environmentally Sensitive


Prior to 1991 all merchantable timber was taxed with the land annually. Since that date, all timber is taxed at 100% value only when it is harvested or sold by timber deed. Generally, this tax is due at the time of sale. Please contact our office for exact details depending on the type of sale. Penalties are imposed on late reporting and payment. All companies in the business of cutting pulpwood should have the current forms and regulations and MUST obtain a timber cutting permit from the Carroll County Codes Enforcement Office prior to harvesting timber.
Download The Timber Tax Form PT238T


Appeals Process
Appeals Form

What is the Board of Equalization?

The Board of Equalization is a three- member board with three alternates selected by the Carroll County Grand Jury to hear assessment disputes. This is an independent board and is not connected with the Board of Assessors or the appraisal staff. The Board of Equalization is required to make decisions on the facts and information presented at the hearing. Once the board has made a decision, the taxpayer and the assessors office must either accept that decision or appeal on to Superior Court.