Homestead Exemption Qualification Checklist
Homestead exemption provides a tax exemption up to $50,000 for persons who are permanent residents of the State of Florida, who hold legal or equitable title to the real property, and who occupy the property as their permanent residence. The first $25,000 applies to all property taxes, including school district taxes. The additional exemption up to $25,000 applies to the assessed value between $50,000 and $75,000, but only to non-school taxes.
In addition to the reduction of taxes, the exemption provides a limit on the annual increase of your assessment value. This limit will be the lower of either the CPI (Consumer Price Index) or 3%. This limitation is automatically applied beginning the second year you qualify for the homestead exemption.
This checklist is designed to ensure that you have all documentation required at the time you apply for any exemption(s). Prior to applying, please ensure that you meet all eligibility requirements.
HOMESTEAD EXEMPTION ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS (Must meet ALL requirements listed below)
- You must own AND occupy the home as your PERMANENT residence prior to January 1st of the year for which you are applying
- You MUST be a Florida resident as of January 1st
- You cannot be claiming or receiving any type of tax exemption on any other property in the U.S.
- You must complete an exemption application in our office by the statutory deadline of March 1st.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION (Please read thoroughly)
- Florida Driver's Licenses & vehicle registrations should be issued PRIOR to January 1st & should also reflect your current Florida residence address.
- ALL documentation MUST be presented at time of application
- BOTH signatures are required for married couples.
- Application must be signed by person receiving the exemption being applied for, or individual with the applicant's Power of Attorney (must provide copy of POA document at time of application)
- For any owner who is NOT a US Citizen, you will be required to produce a Resident Alien Card (in addition to the other documentation required). NO temporaries will be accepted.
- MOBILE HOME OWNERS - If you own the land and the mobile home, you MUST apply for a Real Property ("RP") Decal, pursuant to Florida Statute 193.075. No exemption application can be taken until the RP application is complete. To apply for an RP Decal, the deed and the title(s)/registration(s) for the mobile home will be required.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR HOMESTEAD EXEMPTION:
All documentation listed below must be presented at time of application. Please utilize this checklist to ensure you have all necessary documentation PRIOR to applying for any exemptions as incomplete or late applications CANNOT be accepted.
*** IF MOVING TO FLORIDA FROM OUT-OF-STATE, FURNISH A DOCUMENT FROM COUNTY APPRAISER STATING THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY TAX EXEMPTIONS IN THAT STATE***
NOTE: All documentation listed below must also be presented at the time of applying for any exemptions listed in the "Additional Exemptions" section.
VERIFICATION OF OWNERSHIP: Can be any one of the following:
A CURRENT UTILITY BILL AT HOMESTEAD ADDRESS IN APPLICANT(S) NAME IS ALSO REQUIRED.
- Copy of your Warranty Deed or Quit-Claim Deed
- Most recent County tax bill
- Printout of your property from our website (www.qpublic.net/franklin)
- Closing documents
- Other documentation proving property ownership.
SCHOOL LOCATION OF DEPENDENT CHILDREN
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS for all owners (Florida Statute 196.011(1). Acceptable forms:
FLORIDA DRIVER'S LICENSE(s) (Or FL ID card for those unable to drive)-
- Valid Social Security Card
- Medicare Card
- Military Identification Card
- Most recent Income Tax Return filed with IRS
- NOTE: If moving to Florida from out-of-state: Issue date MUST be prior to January 1st & should also reflect current address.
- Required for ALL applicants.
- We do not accept "Valid in Florida Only" licenses or expired licenses or ID cards.
ALL VEHICLE REGISTRATIONS
- NOTE: If moving to Florida from out-of-state: Issue date MUST be prior to January 1st & should reflect current address
- Vehicles must be registered with Florida resident tags.
- Titles or leased vehicle registrations cannot be accepted.
- Military "non-resident" tags must be changed to FL resident tags prior to applying.
A CURRENT VOTER'S REGISTRATION CARD (updated to property address PRIOR to January 1st)
LIST OF ALL OTHER PROPERTIES (if any) - nationwide.
Please contact Heather Carroll at (850) 653-9236, PRIOR to filing should you have any questions or concerns regarding the application process or any particular circumstances which may require additional documentation.
*ALL residency documentation must reflect an issue date on or before January 1st.
*STATUTORY FILING DEADLINE FOR ALL NEW EXEMPTION APPLICATIONS IS MARCH 1ST